Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Job Title: Database Administrator
Location: New Britain, CT
Duration: 6+ Months of Contract to Hire
• 10 years+ database administration experience.
• Performs the Database Administration functions for the Oracle 9i through 12c.
• Performs Microsoft SQL Administration for 2008 through current.
• Identifying and resolving problems occurring in all database environments including performance related issues (i.e. database & SQL tuning).
• Performing database software installs, configurations, patches, and upgrades.
• Perform the capacity planning required to create and maintain the Databases, working closely with system administration staff and other Database Administrators
• Manage users and passwords on the databases
• Apply required audit and security standards to ensure it meets the organizations requirements.
• Assisting with performance and Disaster Recovery testing.
• Participating in 24/7 on-call rotation coverage.
Optional (Nice to haves):
• Knowledge of Oracle E-Business Suite Administration
• Applying database security patches (OPatch)
• SQL Server Clustering
• SQL Server Availability Groups
• Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c
Provides database support services to application teams and Technology Services Group (TSG) operations teams including the Network Operations Center. May require knowledge of multiple database management systems on one or more operating systems. Primary duties include database software installation, upgrade/patching, infrastructure management, and creation and support of application databases.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Meets commitments and provides excellent customer service at all times with internal and external clients.
• Provides status reports (written and/or verbal) that are detailed to the tasks and difficulties encountered – enables managers to initiate escalation if necessary and assess areas where changes or additional support may be warranted.
• Ensures issues resulting in customer outage is escalated appropriately through TSG management.
• Assists application groups with design development that meet current and future business requirements:
- Participates in logical design process of strategic projects and responsible for the physical design/implementation.
- Provides specific direction on infrastructure design to support applications.
- Participates as a member of development support team on projects.
- Follows and meets project timelines and deadlines.
• Provides maintenance of the physical database:
- Creates physical database objectives following established standards and processes employed by database team.
- Enforces database standards and follows up on inconsistencies.
- Performs routine reviews of databases and systems to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
o Reports problem performance areas and recommendations for improvement.
o Follows up on recommendations and actively pushes for implementation as appropriate.
- Understands and applies database concepts such as database definitions, parameters, database component placement, reorganization, access methods and security definitions.
- Works with capacity planning, operations, application developers and other TSG teams on database performance and access issues.
• Provides 24/7 support of production database environments.
• As primary administrator, provides on call support as needed for on-call issues with database environments and provides follow up and permanent resolution for reoccurring issues.
• Implements backup/recovery procedures to protect integrity of data in database environment.
• Actively manages backups along with other database administrators to ensure processes are successful and we can recover as a result.
• If necessary, participates in recovery of databases and assists with disaster recovery testing and documentation.
• Other related duties are assigned as needed.
Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education, training, or work experience.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Experience in project management methodologies is desired including ability to estimate, plan, manage, and communicate activities/deliverables of a mid-size project plan (i.e., a plan that affects a single system or product family and uses multiple resources)
• Working knowledge of at least one database management system or a proven ability to learn new technologies and use that knowledge effectively
• Effective communication and team skills with an ability to cooperate, present to and participate with peers/team members
• Basic knowledge of operating systems and systems administration concepts
• Personal commitment to stay current with latest technology concepts
• Good problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills
• Identifies and resolves less clearly defined problems using established procedures and/or protocols as guidelines.
Apply by creating/using an account