TitleMechanical Engineer II
Position DescriptionWaymo is looking for junior to mid-level mechanical engineers to contribute to the work we're doing transforming mobility with our self-driving vehicles. As an ME Designer and Prototyper, you will work with our sensor, compute, and EDS teams to integrate state-of-the art electronic systems onto vehicles platforms. You'll prototype solutions in 3D CAD, and work directly with manufacturing shops to bring those solutions to life, testing many aspects of the design on actual vehicles. This is a hands on role that requires a good balance of prototyping, design, and manufacturing experience. Knowledge and experience in automotive or aerospace packaging (or similar experience in other industries) is a big plus.
- Create detailed 3D models of metal, plastic, sheet metal, and cast parts from concept sketches and design brainstorms
- Work within a complex CAD framework with many components and maintain excellent CAD hygiene and revision control
- Make detailed design tradeoffs that result in simple, elegant solutions that can readily be prototyped quickly but also moved over to mass manufacturing
- Work with manufacturers to prototype parts and install them on vehicles for testing.
- Review feedback from manufacturing partners and adjust mechanical designs as needed
- Perform tolerance analysis on critical features in large assemblies
Mandatory- BS in Mechanical Engineering or other technical field - 4-6 years of mechanical engineering experience - 3+ years of architecture and packaging experience in 3D CAD programs (experience with Catia V5). V6 is a plus. Should consider yourself a CAD expert. - Hands on experience working with manufacturers to prototype parts and assemble complex systems with many electronic components - Experience designing around electrical systems and wire/connector packaging and routing - Experience designing for the automotive or other rugged environment - Understanding of best practices for parametric 3D CAD
Desired- 5+ years of professional experience designing mechanical parts in Catia V5 or V6 - Demonstrated deep manufacturing experience in two or more methods - injection molding, die casting, stamping, machining, sheet metal. - Understanding of heat transfer and good thermal designs (free convection, forced convection, as well as liquid cooling and radiators) - Experience with manufacturing from EVT through PVT.