|Reference # : ||18-00011
||Title : ||Build and Release Engineer 3|
|Position Type : ||Contract|
|Experience Level : ||
||Start Date : ||02/12/2018
| Description |
Build and release engineer 3
Additional Position Information:
This full-time contract position is located within Quality Control (JQ) organization which consists to two teams: Production Control and Quality Assurance. This position is a function within the Production Control team and will assist management with monitoring, controlling and implementing changes to infrastructure and software components, within the environments where they reside. The team performs the tasks of predicting, planning and scheduling work, taking into account risk, Client, capacity restrictions, and follow-up to see that all requested change requirements are successfully completed, using tools which have proven satisfactory for the purpose. Our objective is to provide to BPA a process which will enhance services by managing change to reduce the associated risks of change to BPA organizations. This position is located in Portland, OR.
Contract personnel are not allowed to direct Federal employees, nor are they allowed to authorize expenditures or make decisions on behalf of BPA; these functions are specifically assigned to BPA employees. Contract personnel provide analysis, information and input to those functions. Additionally, contract personnel may only represent BPA (such as at seminars, industry events, etc.) with written authorization from a BPA Vice President.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: This position requires confidentiality, professionalism and requires passing a higher level background investigation, for which the selected candidate must qualify to hold or continue to hold the position.
This position is NOT open to Foreign National Candidates.
Position Responsibilities include:
Note: all drafts, documents, materials and recommendations, as listed below, must be reviewed, finalized and approved / accepted by appropriate BPA manager / or other federal personnel with the authority to do so.
- Support entire application projects including queuing builds and coordinating environment-specific configurations. Script and automate deployment processes.
- Build and deploy full releases or full components such as Web Applications, Web Services, Windows Services, Console Applications, Client GUI applications, etc.
- Perform application builds using Team Foundation Server (TFS) Build. Builds consist mostly of .NET applications.
- Deploy the builds to the appropriate application servers.
- With oversight and approval from the BPA Manager/BPA Lead, perform application deployments for both the Test and Production environments. Run PowerShell scripts and MSI files. Stop and start IIS Application Pools and clustered services.
- Complete application builds for Web Applications, Web Services, Windows Services, Console Applications, and Client GUI applications.
- Process SQL scripts to update stored procedures in application databases.
- Deploy environment specific configurations.
- With oversight and approval from the BPA manager/BPA Lead, perform software installations using the installation or implementation documents attached to the Change Management System events by the application development team.
- Coordinate handoff to support teams when other tasks need to be completed after or before the deployment of the application. I.e. dba Support, SSIS Support, SSRS Support.
- With oversight and approval from the BPA Manager/BPA Staff, identify and implement application build and branching strategies.
- Identify, assess, , develop, deploy and assist BPA management in implementing build process improvements, using TFS.
- Assist in the development of continuous integration processes within a TFS hosted infrastructure. This could include continuous builds and gated check-ins.
- Automate the build process as much as possible in order to streamline the multi platform build process and reduce build and configuration errors.
- With oversight and approval from the BPA Manager/BPA Lead, create and deploy tools that will unite, automate and monitor the build process.
- Validate that the build process is scalable and easy to understand.
- Document the build process and branching strategies.
- With oversight and approval from the BPA Manager/BPA develop and enhance build processes and scripts to achieve a dramatic improvement in build speed and build reliability.
- Work day to day issues and coordinate build and release issues coordinating with development teams as necessary.
- Coordinate build schedules between developers, QA and management.
- Verify that Builds are healthy.
- Troubleshoot build breakages by diagnosing compilation, linking, dependency and integration errors; including communicating and working with developers to resolve build issues in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot tools and review/setup of new build and deployment tools.
- Verify knowledge database is populated with resolutions, workarounds, and known issues.
- Stay current on technologies affecting the build and release process.
Experience Requirements ? Level 3:
- Master's Degree is highly desirable.
- Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field is preferred.
Technical Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in applicable fields (as stated above): 10+ years direct work experiences in designing and developing builds, scripts, installation procedures, and systems including source code control and issue tracing, is required.
- Bachelor's Degree not in applicable fields: In lieu of a bachelor's degree in the required fields, 12+ years direct work experience in designing and developing builds, scripts, installation procedures, and systems including source code control and issue tracing AND completion of at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields is required: Information technology, systems development, computer/systems engineering, computer/systems programming or software programming/development. (NOTE: Resume content must validate minimum 24 semester hours in the fields listed to qualify for this position).
- No degree: 14+ years direct work experience in designing and developing builds, scripts, installation procedures, and systems including source code control and issue tracing, is required.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office Suite products, such as Word, PowerPoint and Outlook (MS Office 2010 proficiency required).
- Knowledge of and skill in applying the following functions is required and should be included in the matrix:
- Visual Studio 2010 Premium; opening projects, resolving broken references, choosing the build configuration, and publishing Web applications and services. Used for TFS Builds, interface with TFS repositories, editing code.
- TFS (Team Foundation Server); Software source control storage system and software application compilation platform. Creating and editing TFS build definitions, queuing a build, queuing a build from a label, performing a "get?, displaying history of changes, and finding the version of code for a particular build.
- Creating and working with Client deployment shares backing up folders and Server and staging builds.
- .NET architecture, web apps, web services, web configurations.
- PowerShell scripts; Used for writing PowerShell scripts, editing and running scripts. Used for some deployments and backups.
- SQL Server fundamentals; Databases, tables, procedures, views, Connecting to a database with SQL Server Management Studio, creating back-out scripts, and running SQL Scripts with PowerShell.
- Active Directory; creating appropriate requests for changes to role based permissions.
- ViceVersa;file copy utility, file deployment checking in code for version control, backing up files prior to overlay, and creating logs for copied files.
- Database Management tools, such as Aqua Data Studio, DBArtisan, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- SQL Server Management Studio to "script out? backup copies of stored procedures, and execute SQL scripts.
- Possesses solid understanding in Source Control tools such as MS Team Foundation Server.
- Knowledge of and skill in applying the following Tool Sets are required and should be included in the matrix:
- SQL Server Management Studio
- TFS Source Control
- Knowledge of and skill in applying the following Tool Sets is highly preferred:
- ORACLE SQL Developer
- MS Build
- Admin Studio
- BATCH Scripting
- PeopleSoft Tools
- App Designer
- Change Assistant
- Visual Studio
- TFS Build Definitions: Creating and troubleshooting
- TFS Release Management Component
- Carry out assigned tasks with a professional demeanor reflected in excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, patience, analytical reasoning and problem solving abilities.
- Meet timelines, milestones, deliverables and provide timely (weekly) status updates.
- Communicate technical information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical users.
- Understand and follow established processes and procedures including Change Management, Work Tracking and Time Management.
- Must be a team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Must have a service-oriented attitude with excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, and highly focused.
- Ability to thrive in a changing environment and manage multiple projects with multiple priorities.
- Ability to grasp complex technical concepts quickly and ability to apply that knowledge to the software build and deployment effort.
- Ability to communicate ideas and technical information clearly in both verbal and written form.
- Provide a sustainable IT infrastructure by supplying cross training and functional documentation.
- Ensure proper identification of self as a contract worker in all communications, correspondence, etc.
- Must be able to pass a Personnel background check pursuant for Public Trust (SF-85P), for which the selected candidate must qualify to hold or continue to hold the position.
- Up to 5% local travel to/from meetings is anticipated.
- Valid state driver's license is required.
- This position may be eligible for situational offsite work, subject to the completion of a Supplemental Labor Offsite Work Memorandum of Understanding.
- RSA token shall only be utilized when conducting work directly related to the API. Any other work is unauthorized. Contract worker is responsible for the safe-keeping of the BPA issued RSA Token at all times. If the RSA Token is lost or compromised, immediately contact the COTR. All information associated with the work performed offsite must be maintained in the BPA network environment. No BPA information shall be allowed to be transmitted, stored, and created, etc., on the contract worker's personal devices. Contract personnel must follow all BPA and government-wide security, asset management, and cyber security policies and procedures.
- Offsite work may only be performed within the BPA service area unless approved by the Supplemental Labor Management Office (SLMO). Contract personnel must keep their employer informed of their work location at all times and must coordinate any changes with their employer and SLMO before the change occurs.
- The selected candidate will be required to sign a BPA Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) as a condition of the contract assignment.
- Provide on-call and backup support for existing systems and functions. Location for on-call and backup support may be at BPA facilities or off-site. May be required to carry a BPA supplied cell phone and work non-core hours when requested. BPA-provided mobile devices are to be used solely for BPA purposes.