|Reference # : ||17-05041
||Title : ||Civil Engineer 2|
|Position Type : ||Contract|
|Experience Level : ||
||Start Date : ||11/13/2017
| Description |
Civil Engineer 2
Additional Position Information:
This full-time contract position serves as a Civil Engineer 2 in the Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing section within the TERG Geospatial Services Department at Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). The G
eospatial Services Department is responsible for providing Geospatial support in the maintenance, operation and development of new BPA facilities. This position performs a variety of assignments within the subject-matter or functional area assigned. Assignments relate to the engineering design and analysis for all types of facilities on the BPA system.
This position involves office work in the Vancouver, Washington, Van Mall complex at the Two Park Place building location.
Contract personnel are not allowed to direct Federal employees, nor are they allowed to authorize expenditures or make decisions on behalf of BPA; these functions are specifically assigned to BPA employees. Contract personnel provide analysis, information and input to those functions. Additionally, contract personnel may only represent BPA (such as at seminars, industry events, etc.) with written authorization from a BPA Vice President.
This position is NOT open to Foreign National Candidates.
Position Responsibilities include:
Note: all official drafts, documents and recommendations, as listed below, must be reviewed, finalized and approved / accepted by appropriate BPA manager / or other federal personnel with the authority to do so.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate limited projects involved in engineering design and analysis, requiring the solution of both design and operations problems.
- Identify and define critical engineering design parameters, selecting and recommending design methods, monitoring the technical approach, and reviewing the final design.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend appropriate remote sensing solutions to resolve complex interrelated problems and issues. Recommend solutions for both design and operations problems and produce new designs, as needed, when standards do not cover the project situations
- Anticipate design problems that may arise and participate in the development, evaluation, and implementation of alternative solutions.
- Complete and produce comprehensive final design packages for assigned projects, including final detailed design drawings and all other documents.
- Formulate and present findings, briefings, project papers, status reports, and correspondence to foster understanding and acceptance of findings and recommendations.
- Provide technical services/expertise on remote sensing functions and practices. Perform design work for capital projects based on analysis of engineering and design requirements, project parameters, and technical information from multiple sources.
- Adapt standard guides and designs to assigned projects.
- Facilitate the development, upgrade, and application of design templates, standards, and guidelines, as appropriate.
- Perform a comprehensive review of finished work products and geospatial data records to validate completeness, accuracy, and conformance to project requirements, design practices, standards, and quality objectives.
- Analyze factors leading to errors and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Consult and coordinate with other organizations within BPA relative to specification matters.
- Arrange and facilitate meetings with BPA personnel to effectively receive or dispense information while resolving conflicting opinions, pressing for solution, effecting necessary compromises, and summarizing conclusions which are then recorded in memoranda and workflow tracking systems.
- Prepare and process specification change requests as needed. Verify that specifications are in accordance with policy and regulations, and are technically correct. This requires application of engineering knowledge in several technical disciplines. Specification writing involves integration, coordination and review from a technical standpoint of concise detailed descriptions of work methods, procedures and precautions for work to be performed.
- Create, update, and revise design and engineering records and databases. Maintain data quality and prepare and verify data models.
- Provide technical support/expertise to design engineers, project managers, and other technicians regarding remote sensing projects and related deliverables.
- Develop, prepare, revise, and distribute design drawings and engineering technical documents and data bases to support transmission line, fiber optic, and wireless projects or other assigned work on various computer platforms including MicroStation CADD and PLS-CADD. Update and maintain, as necessary, existing hard copy design drawings in the files of Transmission Engineering, and convert existing hard copy drawings to electronic versions on the MicroStation CADD and PLS-CADD systems. Obtain drawing and/or design files as needed to complete assigned work.
- Enter data into computer and/or CADD files that can be used for the design of facilities. Verify data for completeness and accuracy. Review and check work of contract service providers for accuracy and adequacy.
- On assigned projects, represent the group at project meetings. Report status, scheduling, and other project issues or delays. Coordinate work effort with project managers and other organizations. Provide technical support and guidance to other technicians.
- Analyze topographic aerial (LiDAR) survey data sets for completeness and accuracy.
- Archive and maintain LiDAR, Imagery, and PLS-CADD data files.
- Produce PLS-CADD models of existing or proposed transmission lines.
- Analyze transmission lines for possible impairments caused by trees, high brush, and other field condition attributes.
- Produce safe tree height reports.
- Manipulate LiDAR data and PLS-CADD files for multiple engineering applications.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a closely- related field is required.
- This is a Level 2 Position: 5 ? 9 years of directly related experience is required.
- Related experience includes knowledge of engineering concepts, principals, and practices applicable to components and facilities found on a regional transmission system.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook is required (MS Office 2010 proficiency is required).
- Knowledge of and skill in the following areas is required:
- LiDAR point cloud software and other computer methods and applications for analysis, design and design document production and reporting.
- Geometry and coordinate systems
- PC operating systems, ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Experience working with GIS and Remote Sensing/LiDAR
- Ability to identify, evaluate, and recommend appropriate solutions to resolve complex interrelated problems and issues.
- Knowledge of and skill in the following areas is desirable:
- Working knowledge of surveying principles and image processing
- Experience working with of PLS-CADD and MicroStation/CADD software platforms
- Familiarity with SharePoint functionality.
- Ability to represent design functions on internal cross functional teams.
- Must keep abreast of design developments and construction techniques.
- Must be skilled in written, visual, and oral communication.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize assignments is required.
- Must possess interpersonal skills useful in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with clientele and management.
- Must exhibit a continued ability to think creatively and actively learn.
- Carry out assigned tasks with a professional demeanor reflected in excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, patience, analytical reasoning and problem solving abilities
- Understand and follow established processes and procedures including change management, work tracking and time management.
- Proficiencies in critical thinking and deductive reasoning are required.
- Follow established BPA processes and procedures.
- Ensure proper identification as a contract worker in all communications, correspondence, etc
*NOTE: Attendance at all training, etc. must be pre-approved by SLMO. For any such events, requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and approval is subject to the most current guidance provided to SLMO by BPA or DOE and is subject to change. SLMO reserves the right to negotiate attendance on billable/non-billable hours and reimbursement of travel costs with the supplier. Reimbursable travel costs must adhere to the Federal Travel Regulations and are submitted via an expense sheet in Fieldglass.
- The selected candidate will be required to sign a BPA Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) as a condition of the contract assignment.
- This position may be eligible for situational offsite work, subject to the completion of a Supplemental Labor Offsite Work Memorandum of Understanding.
- RSA token will only be utilized when conducting work directly related to the API. Any other work is unauthorized. Contract Worker is responsible for the safe-keeping of the BPA-issued RSA Token at all times. If the RSA Token is lost or compromised, immediately contact the COTR. All information associated with the work performed offsite must be maintained in the BPA network environment. No BPA information will be allowed to be transmitted, stored, and created, etc., on the contract worker's personal devices. Contract personnel must follow all BPA and government-wide security, asset management, and cyber security policies and procedures.
- Offsite work may only be performed within the BPA service area unless approved by the Supplemental Labor Management Office (SLMO). Contract personnel must keep their employer informed of their work location at all times and must coordinate any changes with their employer and SLMO before the change occurs.
- This position requires some travel (5%) for meetings or to field locations.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- In the Event of a COOP Exercise or Incident, the contract worker may be required to work off site to provide support per roles and responsibilities outlined in the BPA Organizational COOP Plans.