Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Senior Linux Engineer
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Salary: 145K+ 20% Bonus
There is no sponsorship available at this time.
This is a full time positon working directly for my client.
~Must come out of a larger data center environment of 300+ servers.
Join the Windows Engineering & Platform Support team and you'll work at the highest systems level to provide expert advice and counsel to users, management and IT project teams for systems of the most complex nature (typically crossing function/location lines). Evaluate new technologies and develop departmental standard practices. Recognized as technical expert within the department and demonstrate the ability to provide Leadership and guidance to technical and non-technical associates. Identify or react to problems related to the technology infrastructure or in support of the software development process. Demonstrate a broad knowledge level across multiple areas of information technology. May be involved as a key team member on strategic or enterprise-wide technology issues.
• Creates a vision that connects engineering strategies to the big picture and sets action plans accordingly.
• Displays forward thinking and resourcefulness.
• Exhibits technical proficiency and innovations.
• Partners with application development and infrastructure teams to align leading edge and leveraging strategies.
• Work with Security team to ensure system configurations are in compliance with security policies and controls standards.
• Create technology efficiency and new capabilities through the use of automation
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and drive clarity and actions
• Ability to summarize complex technical and business issues to the appropriate audience
• Ability to work with a variety of development environments and platforms
• Ability to participate in teams across organizations to solve business and technical issues
• Ability to successfully multi-task and prioritize work
• Resolves complex user requests referred by junior administrators.
• Provide guidance and mentorship to junior staff
• Provide end to end ownership of technology products that includes complete lifecycle
• Propose and implement medium to large scale system deployment (hardware, OS and cloud platforms)
• Support new and existing deployments through the analysis of metrics, logs, system alarms etc... to troubleshoot problems and perform preventative maintenance on the various products.
• Create new tools and automation of existing ones to improve efficiency of product maintenance
• Analyzes, acquires, installs, modifies and supports operating systems.
• Conducts highly complex systems automation/scripting and systems support activities, including system integration and monitoring.
• Create design documentation for new products and procedures.
• Maintain existing documentation of systems processes and procedures.
• Facilitate outage restoration calls to access application impact, notify the business, and restore system issues.
• Responsible to document issue summary, provide root cause analysis, and implement remediation actions.
• Work closely with L3 and L2 support groups to develop, plan, and implement system enhancements and upgrades.
• Be available for L3 escalation requests, during normal business hours as well as off-hour rotation.
• BS/BA, (Education may be substituted for increased years in experience on a year-for-year basis).
• Minimum 5+ years of experience working with enterprise Linux environments scaling beyond 300+ systems.
• Extensive knowledge with enterprise Server Operating Systems such as RHEL 6/7.
• Extensive knowledge of enterprise deployment strategies for server OS such as kickstart, cobbler or cloud-init.
• Experience and understanding of OS lifecycle management and secure system configurations.
• Experience with patch management tools such as YUM or BigFix.
• Experience working with both standalone and blade server technologies such as Dell, Lenovo and Cisco.
• Experience with converged and hyper-converged platforms is a plus.
• Extensive knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMware ESX, Docker and Pivotal Cloud Foundry.
• Experience with performance tuning and troubleshooting server OS issues (CPU, Memory and I/O).
• Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible or Chef.
• Ability to automate common and repeatable tasks/processes.
• Experience interacting with APIs to automate processes.
• Working knowledge of Enterprise NAS/SAN technologies such as LVM and Veritas Storage Foundation.
• Working knowledge of Enterprise clustering technologies including Linux Cluster Server or Veritas Cluster Server.
• Require strong automation and scripting Shell is required and Python and/or Ruby is a plus.
• Strong understanding of project management methodologies and processes (Lean, Agile).
• Ability to create "Run Books”, defining day-to-day support, maintenance, troubleshooting of the infrastructure.
• Excellent analytical skills and the ability to apply them towards the investigation of existing installations.
• Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed.
Apply by creating/using account