Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Job Title: Sr. Network Engineer
Job Location: Ashburn, VA
Job Duration: 1 year with possible extension and conversion (only if an FTE role is open).
Visa Inc. is a global payments technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
Visa does not issue cards, extend credit or set rates and fees for consumers. Visa's innovations enable its bank customers to offer consumers choices: Pay now with debit, ahead of time with prepaid or later with credit products. From the world's major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes their lives easier and helps grow economies.
Behind the Visa brand are our talented employees who continuously raise the bar with innovative solutions and products that deliver the convenience and security of digital currency to more people all over the world.
The global network and security engineering group is responsible for the strategy, architecture, design, support, and reliability of Visa Inc.'s commercial networks. Network Engineering also shares responsibility with information security for network access and security compliance of all networks. The candidate for this position will design, implement, and support IP networks for Visa's global commercial network infrastructure.
This Sr. Staff Network Engineer based in Ashburn, VA will plan, design, document, implement, and support network connections for commercial customers. This position is for an individual contributor. The successful candidate will solve complex problems and implement innovative solutions. This role serves as a technical/functional specialist who works independently, only requiring guidance in the most complex situations.
• Plan, design implement, and support network systems of moderate complexity in the commercial network environment.
• Support WAN connections and determine circuit capacity requirements for the Visa Global Commercial client networks.
• Provide client capacity planning support consisting of data analysis, requirements verification, and providing client recommendations.
• Work closely with project and account managers to support all client network requirements.
• Provide network design documentation to project teams, peers, and network support organizations.
• Provision new client institutions by completing the necessary network updates and providing technical assistance to the membership in support of network changes.
• Perform third level support within Visa to resolve network issues and support the implementation of new network solutions.
• Provide engineering recommendations to Visa regional and product representatives as requested.
• Conduct product evaluation and testing, and support application development teams.
• Support change management processes for the commercial networks environment.
• Support maintenance window activities on the commercial networks when required.
• Build and maintain relationships with global teams and third parties to address network development and support issues.
• Participate in the development, testing and QA functions to ensure project delivery.
• Provide technical support to ensure timely problem resolution.
• Work with the Information Security Office to ensure Visa security requirements are met, and provide technical assistance for investigation and analysis of security alerts.
• Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions.
• A Bachelor's degree is required for this position. A degree in Information Technology or Engineering is preferred.
• At least 5 years of experience in a network engineering design and/or support role.
• Technical Expertise with IP networking and extensive knowledge of technologies such as MPLS, VPN, ATM, and Frame Relay.
• Extensive knowledge of network hardware including proven experience with Cisco networking devices is required. A Cisco certification is preferred.
• Experience and expertise with IP routing protocols including EIGRP, OSPF and BGP. Knowledge of Cisco encryption technologies (IPSec, SSL), standby protocols HSRP and VRRP, and network address translation (NAT) experience is required.
• Experience administering enterprise IP networks in mission-critical, 24x7 production environments.
• 3 years related experience in infrastructure/network environments and designing, planning, documenting and implementing LANs and WANs using latest technology.
• Strong planning, organizational, and problem solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal, and leadership skills including effective communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Solid understanding of TCP/IP network protocols, including common application protocols.
• Experience in high-availability networks in load-balanced, n-tier application environments.
• Experience leading moderately complex cross regional projects, including planning, documentation, and implementation.
• Demonstrated ability to systematically troubleshoot problems in complex systems and network environments.
• Solid understanding of network and system security principles and techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among multiple concurrent projects while also handling interrupts.
• Experience in the financial and/or e-commerce business desired.
• ITIL certification preferred.
Apply by creating/using an account