The Packaging Technician/Technologist acts as a key member of the R&D Technical Team, working at the General Mills Technology Centers. Working in partnership with scientists and engineers, the technician will be responsible for Packaging R&D support for different types of project work initiatives, including packaging development for new or existing products, new packaging material technology or packaging material cost savings initiatives. This technician will be part of a fast paced, integrated, cross-functional team which may include Marketing, Sales, Sourcing, Product Development, QRO, Operations, External Supply Chain, Consumer Insights, Brand Design, and Finance. As part of this position, the technician will be responsible to support the execution of packaging projects or initiatives.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Design, Conduct, and Statistically Analyze package testing protocols and material qualification.
2. Assisting in plant trials and commercialization activities.
3. Partner with cross-functional teams to test and execute packaging initiatives.
4. Collaborate internally and externally, and leverage supplier resources against key initiatives.
5. Document work including experiments, plant trials, specifications, technical plans.
6. Bring packaging ideas to life by creating mock-ups and prototypes.
7. Lead packaging competitive analysis in new spaces and aisles.
Key Skills include:
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse cross-functional team and with external resources including suppliers and external supply chain partners.
• Ability to design multi-variable experiments and testing protocols. Execute testing protocols efficiently and accurately, and statistically analyze data with clear substantiated recommendations
• Working knowledge of packaging materials, systems, and testing protocols a plus
• Food packaging or product experience a plus
• Computer proficiency, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, plus general application software. Proficient with Statistical analysis software a plus
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Ability to experiment and make data-based recommendations
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Mechanical and problem-solving skills
• Statistics knowledge and application