Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Schedule (ex M-F, 8am-5pm): M-F, 8 AM – 5 PM
Client, located in Southfield, MI, has an opening for a Test Engineer. This position is primarily responsible for friction material testing and development as related to dry and wet clutch applications. The candidate will prepare samples for mechanical, thermal and friction performance testing. The sample preparation includes curing, cutting, bonding, and sizing of materials to specifications. The thermomechanical tests include TGA, DMA, DSC, thermal properties, tensile, shear, compression, friction and wear tests. The candidate is preferred to have prior experience or expected to gain experience with the test equipment in the Materials Laboratory such as hot presses, mechanical, thermomechanical and friction testing systems, optical microscopes, metallographic sample preparation, hardness, surface roughness and metrology equipment including contact (CMM) and non-contact (3D-Scan) methods. The test results will be analyzed, plotted and reported to the end customers. Duties would include self-management of assigned projects and job cost accountability to perform work within budgeted cost estimates. The successful candidate will also perform conventional, engineering assignments that may involve business case development, project leadership, taking projects through reviews.
The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
1) Developing and maintaining test procedures, test fixtures and supporting equipment;
2) Tracking, coordinating and leading all efforts to ensure that friction material testing and analysis requests are completed and reported in a timely fashion;
3) Developing and/or updating material test equipment and processes to expand the department's capabilities and provide growth opportunities;
4) Generating and implementing complete test plans and procedures based on knowledge of the product and experience with current technology test methodologies and capabilities;
5) Bonding and preparing prototype friction plates and test samples using a hot press;
6) Project management experience is desired.
No relocation benefit is offered for this position. Only candidates residing within the Detroit metropolitan area will be considered for this position.
1) BS in Materials, Chemical, Mechanical Engineering or related field is required. MS Degree is preferred.
2) Minimum of three years of experience in testing, development and/or problem solving with engineering materials, especially friction materials.
3) CAD experience or ability to read technical drawings is desired.
4) Programming experience with any of MSExcel Macro, MATLAB-Simulink, FAMOS, Labview are preferred.
5) Hands on experience or willing to be trained on operating MTS, Falex and thermomechanical (TGA, DMA, DSC) test machines.
6) Experience with automotive lubricants and lubricant analysis are preferred.
7) Minimum three years experience in a highly collaborative team environment, applying excellent interpersonal skills as well as hands-on skills.
8) Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9) Position requires an individual who is self-motivated, self-managed, team-oriented, proactive, attentive to detail, task oriented and able to overcome obstacles to meet schedule requirements.
10) Exposure to Six Sigma concepts is desired.
Apply by creating/using account
Axelon Services, Corp is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.