Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Job Description: DESCRIPTION:
This is a 1 year contract position in the Resource Planning area of Power Markets. A review will be conducted at the end of the contract period for potential conversion to a full time engineering position. Under the direction of the Manager of Resource Planning this position is responsible for developing plans for the reliable, economic and environmentally acceptable performance of the electric supply system on Long Island. Specific responsibilities are as follows:
• Develop major generation expansion plans with associated capital expenditures in accordance with criteria for short and long range planning of the electric system for maintaining future operating goals.
• Analyze costs and performance of the existing electric system as well as future generation, transmission and power purchase proposals as part of the least cost resource planning process using multi-area production costing and reliability models.
• Identify potential operating problems and the financial impact; and provide guidance to the Electric System Operations department.
• Perform complex environmental studies and financial analyses to compare different alternatives while ensuring the Long Island power system is compliant with governing design criteria as well as with federal and state mandates.
• In coordination with Transmission Planning and other departments, perform studies, develop various alternatives to address system needs and make recommendations for projects.
• Provide assistance to LIPA in determining the viability of different generation and transmission projects.
• Develop annual as well as monthly fuel and purchase power budget for LIPA.
• Determine financial and system impact of merchant project proposals on LIPA and Long Island customers.
• Interface with other company departments and LIPA, as well as represent the company on various regional working groups, task forces and regulatory proceedings.
This position is accountable for selection, prioritization, and economic justifications of LIPA’s resource expansion plans. The results of this have a significant impact on the overall operation and performance of the power system as well as have a great economic and financial effect on Client Long Island, LIPA and Long Island ratepayers.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering is required. Knowledge of engineering economics fundamentals necessary to evaluate alternative system proposals is preferred. A Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering, MBA or PE License is preferred as well as familiarity with production cost and reliability system planning models (MAPS, MARS, Promod, GridView, Strategist, PTI PSS/E). Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to travel to attend meetings on and off Long Island is required.
Group uses computer model to run studies and make evaluations
Team Oriented - 6 team members
Will work independently as well as collaboratively.
Must have Electrical Degree and be proficient in excel
3 to 5 years of experience
Must be Local to Long Island
No per diem or remote options
Potential to convert based on performance
Nice to haves: production modeling experience (Maps, MARS, Grid View, utility experience
Apply by creating/using an account