Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Engagement Type: Contract
VDOT Infra Solutions Architect 4 - Virginia Beach, VA
*local Virginia Beach area candidates strongly preferred
*Manager may conduct initial phone interviews. However, ALL candidates MUST be able to attend a personal interview, NO exceptions
VDOT requires systems administration duties to be performed for the Hampton Roads Transportation Operations Center. Work hours may vary depending on the critical nature of the work and overall activity at the TOC.
The Systems Administrator shall closely coordinate TOC activities with VDOT's Information Technology Division (ITD) as necessary. This will require coordination with both District and Central Office personnel.
Routine Systems Administration Duties
The responsibilities of the Systems Administrator will include maintenance of all current software and hardware at the TOC, and new hardware and software that will be installed in the future. These services will be primarily for central control room hardware, communications infrastructure and software. Field equipment maintenance is primarily performed by VDOT and other contract personnel. However, the System Administrator will provide support for the field equipment installation, maintenance and troubleshooting as necessary.
Typical duties expected of the Systems Administrator shall include, at a minimum, the following:
• Monitor server (physical and virtual)/database/workstation performance (memory/cpu/disc utilization)
• Add / delete system users
• Change user privileges
• Provide full system backups and restoration, if necessary
• Manage system security policies and procedures
• Manage all aspects of the TOC's monthly Configuration Change Board (CCB) meeting
• Manage system configuration
• Archive data as directed
• Develop reports
• Network administration
• Implement COTS bug fixes, patches and upgrades
• Manage and configure anti-virus software/policies
• Add field devices to the system which do not require software modification
• Administer TOC equipment management database
• Manage hardware/software maintenance support agreements
• Provide other technical support as directed by the Regional Transportation Operations Manager (RTOM) or designee.
The Systems Administrator will provide system software and hardware support to include technical assistance in evaluating and resolving problems. The Systems Administrator will provide services to troubleshoot system problems. Based on its discovery, the Systems Administrator will assess whether the problem requires intervention by the software vendor through an established maintenance support contract.
The Systems Administrator will provide services to apply upgrades or patches to installed COTS software that could potentially require software modifications to the operational system. This may include upgrades or patches to the operating system software.
The Systems Administrator will provide database administration, where changes could potentially require software modifications to the operational system. This will include database fine-tuning, optimization and maintenance.
On-call Emergency Maintenance
• Emergency maintenance involves the resolution of critical failures at the TOC. The goal of on-call operational support is to get the TOC operational as soon as possible after a critical failure. The failure may be hardware or software related. The Systems Administrator is expected to respond within 30 minutes when contacted outside of normal working hours.
System long-term/planning duties shall be conducted by the Systems Administrator. Some examples of long-term/planning duties the Systems Administrator is expected to perform:
• Development of system procedures and train Control Room Staff on those procedures
• Hardware and operating system upgrades in conjunction with VDOT IT staff
• System performance planning
• Capacity planning
• Component warranty monitoring
• Hardware lifecycle management
• Software version management
• Communications planning (local and wide area)
Over time, additional field equipment will be added to the TOC. The Systems Administrator will be responsible for testing, configuration management, and troubleshooting associated with the integration of the new equipment with the TOC central software. The Systems Administrator will be expected to perform relatively minor System Integration duties. Larger or more complex equipment projects will be scoped as a separate task under VDOT's existing software development contract.
Work in the System Integration area may include writing specifications, preparing drawings, providing procurement support, and installing and configuring equipment.
Specific duties related to procurement support include:
• Support in determining equipment specifications, selection of equipment, and selection of models.
• Support in determining if vendor recommendations of equipment meet requirements.
• Assisting in commercial-off-the-shelf procurement decisions.
• Support for procurement and installation decisions for the TOC communication media.
• Review of vendor proposals/bids/submittals as required.
Specific duties related to equipment installation and configuration include:
• Unpack new hardware and inspect it for any signs of damage. The Systems Administrator will record in the configuration management database the make, model, and serial numbers of each individual piece of equipment.
• Install the equipment in its intended location. The central system hardware will be rack mounted. The Systems Administrator will verify all connections to and from the equipment including power and communications connections.
• Setup and configure each piece of equipment. This may include the installation of an operating system or other COTS software. It may also include the setting of configuration parameters, such as IP routing parameters in the network switch. The Systems Administrator will record any setup parameters used in configuring the equipment.
• Test the system configuration to verify that each piece of equipment is connected and configured as specified.
• Database expansion required for new components. This includes entering required configuration data into the database.
Required / Desired Skills
Apply by creating/using an account