Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
The Programmer is responsible for working within a multidisciplinary team to develop, produce and maintain web sites and web applications in support of the GIC mission of enhancing communications between Delawareans and their government.
The Delaware Government Information Center connects citizens to their government. We create websites that are user centered, designed beautifully, and help people find what they need. We continuously improve our processes, services, and ourselves to make website experiences better for users. Our clients are state agencies and municipalities. We also control and maintain Delaware.gov and other statewide features.
We are seeking a programmer with at least 5 years experience building user-centered websites for our clients (and ourselves).
The ideal candidate has a passion for research, data and analytics, and end users.
You will be working as part of a team of talented and dedicated people. Team collaboration is a must.
---Emphasis in this position is on PHP Development and MySQL programming. Please do not submit candidates that cannot attend an in person interview at some point in the process.
• This role will handle diverse and challenging problem sets – with the ultimate goal of improving end-user experience.
• Support our multisite WordPress environments in partnership with our team. Research WordPress updates, future additions, and navigate through upgrades. Develop custom WordPress plugins for features on an as-needed basis.
• Conceive of and build new features into our user centered websites. Collaborate with the team of designers, web developers, programmer, content writer, and project leads on new features.
• Use website analytics and search data to make decisions about improving user interactions. Will make suggestions for improving search for clients and for the engines we maintain.
• Teach and educate others (i.e. those on our team, or our clients) about features and functionality.
• Did we mention, you should have a hyper focus on users?
• Experience with medium and large websites (100+pages up to 4,000 pages)
• The mind of a teacher; can help guide others with less experience/a mentor to others on the team
• Collaborative; works well in team environment
• Passion for researching technologies that will help end users (citizens, businesses, residents, visitors, etc)
• RSS and XML experience is a plus
WordPress expert including WordPress architecture, WordPress trends, and WordPress "How-To's”.
Knowledge of best practices for web, including experience, accessibility, internal and external search, and functionality.
Strong interest in data: search engine optimization, search analytics, Google Analytics - for the purpose of improving user experience. Interest in open data, and using open data, is a strong plus.
Knowledge of data visualization techniques, tools, and presentation of information – is another plus.
• Experience with front-end frameworks and tools like Bootstrap.
• Knowledge and experience in WordPress custom development including Themes and Plugin development. Familiar with WordPress filters, hooks, page templates, functions.php, etc.
• Experience working in Linux environment; and comfortable doing everyday tasks in Linux.
• Cross-browser & cross-platform compatible design & development.
• Understand UX/UI principles and best practices.
• SEO and Analytics.
• .net experience is a plus, but is not required.
Required / Desired Skills
Apply by creating/using account