Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Position Title: Senior Network Engineer - Contractor
Division: Information Technology Services
Market Range: MA9
Performance Category: contractor
• The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for providing high-quality, reliable, flexible, and appropriate enterprise infrastructure and technology solutions.
• Responsible for all technical aspects of enterprise infrastructure technology design and implementation.
• Responsible for managing the planning, coordination, configuration, installation, and management of all LANs/WANs and related client services within the enterprise.
• Provides expert support to IT users, employing a high degree of customer service, technical expertise and timeliness. Uses various techniques for resolving problems; escalates problems to other internal support groups and/or vendors as necessary. Supports all areas within IT as it pertains to IT infrastructure, network, servers, or Datacenter equipment. Often applies knowledge from outside of Datacenter realm to assist other areas in resolving issues.
Senior Network Engineer Accountabilities
• Provide expert guidance to the business and customers to get best benefit from supported applications.
• Provide general oversight for the development of highly appropriate, tightly integrated, consistently available, secure, flexible, and fault-tolerant systems.
• Liaison with product vendors relating to defects in software/hardware supported by the Network Services team, and active management of these defects (including the development of temporary fixes) through to resolution.
• Responsible for internetworking, wide-area network segments, and wireless infrastructure (wiring, switches, routers, gateways, and protocols).
• Routinely maintain and support IT security devices, hardware, and software including ASA firewalls, Sourcefire IDS/IPS, Trend Micro Anti-Malware, and Cisco Identity Services Engine (Client) to include independent upgrades.
• Routinely troubleshoot and remediate issues with Network Address Translation (NAT).
• Monitor and control infrastructure performance in the areas of response, throughput, and availability.
• Regularly analyze Active Directory Group Policy, Active Directory structure, DHCP, and DNS.
• Regularly analyze network traffic to maintain network availability, stability, and throughput.
• Identify solutions through constant interfacing with appropriate management levels, clients, departments, and vendor organizations to ensure a cost-effective and efficient infrastructure environment is available to provide the processing power essential to department operations.
• Has frequent interactions with customers and must be effective in interpersonal communication and problem solving. Adheres to standards in resolving problems. Follows through on resolution with users.
• Lead and complete maintenance on network infrastructure devices to include security hardening, code updates, firmware updates, and hardware replacements.
• Develop firewall rules and provide analysis on attempted intrusion events.
• Plan, design, manage, and lead implementation of new or replacement network infrastructure devices (router, voice gateway, etc).
• Serve as lead technical resource for server replacement, server maintenance, server build outs, and Quality Assurance measures.
• Ensure that Network Infrastructure supports VHDA processes and policies.
• Maintain current knowledge of new developments in Technology as it relates to VHDA, evaluating these, and making recommendations for implementation to the Network Services Manager.
• Proactively research and locate the necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop.
• Maintain high service levels for the user community, and establish a method to easily compare the installation performance against established performance objectives.
• Provide accurate and creative solutions to user problems of complex nature to ensure user productivity.
• Work closely with all support groups to ensure system integration.
• Identify information security risks that affect VHDA and report to Network Operations Manager.
• Develop the organizational understanding to manage information security risk to systems, assets, data, and capabilities and provide recommendations.
• Understand the business context, the resources that support critical functions and the related information security risks.
• Assist developing and implement the appropriate safeguards to ensure delivery of critical infrastructure services that is right-sized for VHDA.
• Assist developing and implement the appropriate activities to maintain plans for resilience and to restore any capabilities or services that were impaired due to an information security event.
• Assist with the planning and project management of system upgrades, including documentation and communication with ITS colleagues.
• Respond to enquiries received through the Service Desk, undertaking diagnosis of IT related problems and providing solutions.
• Ensure customers are advised of progress relating to installations or maintenance, including negotiating new timeframes as required.
• Order resources and equipment as required supporting installation programs and the on-going maintenance of hardware and software.
• Produce documentation relating to implementation and performance standards and ensuring ongoing currency and relevance of these standards.
• Provide network quality of service and filtering recommendations to management to help ensure available and stable network performance.
• Maintain a thorough working knowledge of tools available at VHDA to manage systems and to maximize integration with other systems.
• Liaise with colleagues to coordinate and develop processes and initiatives that integrate other systems.
• Work with colleagues to develop and implement system improvements, where needed.
• Continually self-assess and review own performance outcomes and achievements and ensure that action is taken to address non-delivery on agreed outcomes or commitments.
• Completing projects and tasks independently and with limited direct supervision.
• Model behaviors that encourage whole organization collaboration and learning, for the purpose of increasing synergies and maximizing effectiveness.
• Take accountability for working with your manager to ensure your capability and skills are being continuously developed to increase your professional standing and the value you can add to VHDA and its customers.
Partnership with Customers
• Collaborate with your manager and demonstrate leadership to the Network Services team to ensure the team works effectively with other groups in a way that ensures both internal customer needs and those of external agencies are understood and met.
• Acting as a consultant to other departments regarding infrastructure design and support.
• Ensure you draw to the attention of your manager any process, systems or personnel issues which prevent the team from delivering high levels of customer satisfaction.
• Monitoring the development of new standards with TCP/IP and other networking technologies with particular attention to the impact on the VHDA networking environment.
Finance and Budget
• Supporting the Manager to facilitate budget planning and monitoring.
• Facilitate business case development to ensure the provision of adequate budget.
Reporting and Evaluation
• Report on a regular basis to the manager, user groups and other parties and agencies as required.
• Research and specify hardware for replacement. Configure and implement replacements.
• Maintain and support VPN infrastructure.
• Implement, Support, and Maintain Windows and Linux servers as well as other Datacenter related equipment. Uses a high degree of patience and problem management techniques to solve problems.
• Support and maintain all aspects of Unified Communications infrastructure from desk phones to edge-video to Linux appliances for Call Manager, Contact Center, and Unity. This also includes voice switch stacks and voice gateways. Provide support to Telecom Analyst for large tasks. Serve as backup resource for day to day voice operations. Serve as lead for large projects such as voice gateway replacement and SIP implementation.
• Provide secondary support on NetScaler load balancer.
• Support SCCM and server patch deployment process during Datacenter Maintenance windows.
• Identify opportunities and implement solutions for network data collection and reporting.
• Contribute to the establishment of standards for software/hardware implementation procedures and performance
• Produce documentation relating to implementation and performance standards and ensuring ongoing currency and relevance of these standards
• Aid in review of network security policies, standards, risks and resource classification
• Contribute to the establishment of standards for software/hardware implementation procedures and performance by making recommendations to management.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Is action oriented and full of energy for the things (s) he sees as challenging not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning when necessary.
• Seizes more opportunities than others.
• Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
• Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services.
• Acts with customers in mind.
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Integrity and Trust
• Is widely trusted, and gains respected for in-depth knowledge and appreciation of business and the systems required to support VHDA.
• Is seen as a direct, truthful individual. ·
• Can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner.
• Keeps confidences.
• Admits mistakes.
• Doesn't misrepresent her/himself/members of ITS for personal gain.
• Practices attentive and active listening.
• Has the patience to hear people out.
• Can accurately restate the opinions of others even when (s) he disagrees.
• Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
• Probes all fruitful sources for answers.
• Can see hidden problems.
• Is excellent at honest analysis.
• Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers.
Skills and Knowledge
• Handles constructive criticisms well and uses them professional growth.
• Builds appropriate rapport.
• Builds constructive and effective relationships.
• Uses diplomacy and tact.
• Can diffuse high-tension situations comfortably.
• Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all.
• Can represent her/his own interests and yet be fair to other groups.
• Can solve problems with peers with a minimum of disturbance.
• Is seen as a team player and is cooperative.
• Easily gains trust and support of peers.
• Notices the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behavior quickly.
• Watches others for their reactions to her/his attempts to influence and performs, and adjusts.
• Seeks feedback.
• Is sensitive to changing personal demands and requirements and changes accordingly.
• Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important.
• Quickly zeroes in on what's critically important to finishing tasks.
• Can quickly sense what will help or hinder in accomplishing a goal.
• Eliminates roadblocks.
• Creates focus.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25-50.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; Master's degree is desirable.
• Five (5) to eight (8) years of related experience in infrastructure/network environments performing network engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing LANs and WANs using the latest technology.
• Certified MCITP, MCTS (Network Infrastructure, Active Directory) highly desirable.
• Certified Network Engineer (CCNA, CCNP) or similar credentials highly desirable.
• IT related project management experience highly desirable.
• WAN/LAN knowledge/skills including from among the following:
o OS/applications: Microsoft Windows, Exchange, Cisco IOS, Linux, and VMWare
o Desktop: Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer, Visual Basic, Symantec Antivirus,
Microsoft Office Suite, etc.
o Client/server: Microsoft Server, Unix, Internet, intranet, SQL, Citrix
o Network: Frame relay, BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, Ethernet layer 2 and 3, TCP/IP, SNMP, SMTP, SMB, SAMBA, IP, GRE, ATM, DNS, DHCP, WINS, VPN, 802.2, 802.3, 802.11, HTIP, HTIPS, FTP, SSL, TLS, and Syslog
o WAN/LAN management suites: Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Cisco Identify Services
Engine, Orion, Netflow, Cisco LMS, MS Systems Center Operations Manager
o Systems: Cisco ASA, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Cisco Intrusion Prevention, Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers, Cisco Wireless Control Server, Cisco TACACS+/RADIUS, VMware SRM (Site Recovery Manager) and Websense URL Filtering.
o Other: Utilities for Networks and OSs, HIDS, NIDS, Nmap, Nessus, Acunetix Web
Vulnerability Scanner, protocol analyzers, VB Script, Active Directory, Quest monitoring, auditing and reporting tools, 3DES, AES, SHA, MD5, Kiwi Syslog, Kiwi Cat Tools, etc.
Apply by creating/using account