Sr. Systems Engineer Do you want to be part of a team that creates magic for millions of guests across all of the Disney brands? Behind the scenes, the Enterprise Technology team helps deliver magical digital & physical experiences leveraging the latest technology; and our systems engineers provide expert engineering services in the cloud, automation, and systems reliability engineering to support the innovation and operation of The Walt Disney Company. We are passionate about ensuring our systems provide the best guest experience! To be successful in this role, you will protect, operate, and continuously improve the automation and systems that run Disney's experiences, products, & services with a focus on availability, latency, automation, & cross-company collaboration while embracing a DevOps culture. Teams are located in Seattle, Burbank, Orlando, Bristol and New York.
What will you be doing?
• Code, and deploy systems, new technologies, and best practices in the cloud using self-healing, infrastructure-as-code, security, and automation patterns
• Develop useful telemetry, alerts, and response to identify and address reliability risks
• Participate in on-call rotation with other engineering teams • Identify, experiment, & evangelize new technologies, ideas, and best practices across the broader engineering community
• Collaborate and provide technical leadership within and across teams What's your story? • Proficient, collaborative, & experienced in building reliable, scalable, micro-service-oriented systems
• Passionate and curious about ways to leverage technology while continually learning
• Ability to identify root-cause sources of instability in a high-traffic, large-scale distributed system
• Configuration management and orchestration (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Cloud Formation)
• One or more languages in your skillset (e.g. GO, Python, Java, Ruby)
• Containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, Elastic Container Service)
• Skilled in Cloud/PaaS Environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Compute)
• Thorough knowledge of continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins)
• UNIX/Linux administration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, & security
• 5 years of experience in technical operations or systems engineering
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
Working on application migration from on prem to cloud. We have been doing a lot of proof of concepts/vendor selection. We should have a blue print soon to start building these new enviornments in AWS. Same time we still have to support existing systems. The applications that we are supporting datawharehouse and big data framework. This dept is data platforms are supporting stores and respositories used by different business units (ESPN, PARKS, Coroporate Proper). Preferences on tech stack- Languages: Python is the most critical and biggest advantage. Containerization: Open on this one as it is more challenging as we are dealing with a lot of data, within massive structures- large volumes of data. Currently we use Apache- Hadoop, HIVE, to support this data. Ultimate destination is being reviewed and architected, while we envision contanerization, it is open and is not major. Configuration management more inclined CHEF. In our big data environment Terrfeform too much. So focus on Chef, but still a plus if they have Terreform as it is a good orchestration in configuration management. Integration tool: Jenkins. UNIX/LINUX- we are primarly Linux so focus here. Very small windows population so it would be good to have both, but Linux is key. Strictly contract at this time, but will depend on business needs and how FY19 changes that. Lets look at local, but we are open for a solid person and hire via blue jeans ONLY if they can relocate themselves quickly and are seriuous.