Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
This position is for an experienced systems engineer eager to play an integral role on the Systems Engineering team for the Walt Disney Company. Primary responsibilities include designing, building, and supporting web application systems for a large scale enterprise production environment that hosts a variety of online properties for The Walt Disney Compan
• 7+ Years experience.
• Understand how to install and configure operating systems, specifically with expertise in Linux
• Recognized as a subject matter expert on at least one OS and proficient in multiple operating systems, including OS performance monitoring, setup, configuration, tuning, and troubleshooting.
• Proficient in web technologies: Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, Node, Django, including being able to perform setup, configuration, and deep dive troubleshooting, tuning and debugging.
• Recognized as a subject matter expert on at least one queing and caching technology: Rabbit MQ, IBM MQ, Redis, ElasticSearch, Varnish, Memcache.
• Expert on HTTP, TCP/IP, SNMP and DNS.
• Able to implement existing base standards for new systems and/or applications with mentoring for all of the following:
• Site monitoring and instrumentation
• Application monitoring and instrumentation
• System monitoring and instrumentation
• Resiliency and performance
• Able to diagnose simple to complex system problems.
• Understand internet technologies and network protocols, including HTTP, basic load balancing configurations, security zones, VIPs, etc.
• Perform peer review for new firewall, VIP and SAN requests.
• Able to interpret and build F5 iRules.
• Understands and correctly maps tiers of SAN storage to business needs.
• Understand application design and dependencies for the sites the team supports.
• Has expertise on one or more load balancer platforms (setting up pools, VIPs, layer 7 routing, debugging).
• Able to author tools and scripts to be used by others to automate repeatable production tasks in standard languages like bash, csh, batch or VBscript.
• Advanced skills in at least one programming language such as Python, Ruby, Java and able to build unit test suites for all software being developed.
• Able to author test plans for use by peers and junior SE's.
• Able to perform and provide in depth analysis on load test runs against a moderately complex system.
• Demonstrates exceptional troubleshooting methodology, including the ability to author and instruct new methodologies to the SE team.
• Demonstrate ability to independently triage moderately complex incidents.
• Independently resolve moderately to highly complex system and application incidents.
• Able to identify and propose system and application fixes for performance bottlenecks.
• Able to evaluate new application requirements for capacity and run-time best practices.
• Able to evaluate new system and/or infrastructure solutions for technical feasibility against known requirements and standards.
• Effective at dealing with change: Able to transition in role or handle a significant modification to workflow or technology with minimal ramp-up time and with very little guidance.
Communication and Leadership Requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication to all levels in the organization.
• Serves as primary point of contact with Manager.
• Ability to lead functional teams in systems integration and design including writing operational specs, architectural diagrams, test plans and requirements management.
• Communication of ideas and solutions in a clear and organized manner.
• Clear and effective presentations to groups of people.
• Effective project management and planning on large-scale projects (familiarity with agile/scrum and water-fall project management a plus).
• Ability to design and deliver training to other staff.
• Construction of concise and complete technical documentation.
• Mentoring of Jr. Staff on technical material.
• Viewed as a reliable technical resource for others.
• Detailed understanding of the goals and requirements of the business supported.
• Document business justifications for infrastructure projects and provide estimated costs & risks.
Required Qualifications :
This position is for an experienced systems engineer eager to join a DevOps cultured Systems Engineering team for the Walt Disney Company. Primary responsibilities include designing, building, and supporting web and mobile ecommerce applications for a large scale enterprise production environment for The Walt Disney Company.
The Senior Systems Engineer is expected to have expert level experience with maintaining web, caching and queuing technologies in large high traffic environments. Some examples of relevant experience include expertise in Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, Django, Memcache, Redis, ElasticSearch and Rabbit MQ on Linux platforms. Expert engineering and operations experience is a hard requirement as well as a light development background in one or more languages – Ruby, Python and Java is required. Strong SQL experience also desired with familiarity of Mysql and Mongo. Must be well versed in writing automation using Chef, Puppet or another SCM tool. Experience with Git or similar distributed version control systems is desirable as well as familiarity with Continuous Integration/Deployment techniques. Familiarity with Atlassian products such as Jira and Bamboo is a plus. Ability to 'deep dive' in troubleshooting applications and systems using various technologies such as New Relic, Graphite and Logstash or Splunk.
In this role, you will actively engage with Development and QA teams as well as Product/Business teams. Must have strong and effective communication skills working with management and other senior engineers. Must be self-driven, yet yearn for strong team coherence. Above all, you must have a passion for new and emerging technology and a constant drive of curiosity. This position works closely with various business Engineering and Production teams to gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, and provide stellar customer support. The role requires someone who is creative, proactive, constructive, and highly motivated. The Senior SE must be prepared to work in an extremely collaborative and high-energy environment.
• Leading project/planning efforts, architectural design, attending meetings w/ various teams.
Apply by creating/using an account