Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development to production by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
1. Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
2. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
3. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
4. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
5. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
6. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
7. Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
8. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
9. Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
10. Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
11. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
12. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/Add new services as necessary.
13. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
14. Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
15. Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
16. Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
17. Monitor network performance in order to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
18. Train people in computer system use.
1. Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
2. Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft Systems and Servers.
3. Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in VMware ESXi.
4. Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Cisco Networking.
5. Four to six years system administration experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
1. Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
2. No regular travel required.
Apply by creating/using an account