Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
A preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas they support are seeking a Billing Coordinator for their Chicago Office. This individual will be responsible for the completion of all facets of the billing and collection function. The position requires the preparation of client invoices, as well as monitoring and follow-up after they are sent. Responsibilities include working with partners and/or Billing Supervisors to proactively administer their billing responsibilities, preparation and processing of timely and high quality invoices, and monitoring and follow-up on outstanding receivables. Opportunities to expand responsibilities and progress within the Billing Services function are available for individuals based on strong performance and the desire to grow.
Essential Job Functions Include:
1. Administration of attorney billing responsibilities.
Perform client billing and collection activities for assigned clients.
Monitor aging of unbilled fees for assigned partners and/or clients.
Monitor and manage outstanding accounts receivable, unapplied funds and collection efforts.
Meet with partners and/or Billing Supervisors to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices and strategy for collections.
Remain current on all billing-related responsibilities.
Provide monthly client estimate/accruals and support for client analysis.
As requested, handle complex billing and client driven requests/projects.
2. Generate Billing Information Memos for each assigned partner at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline.
Prepare billing packages for each assigned partner (draft cover letters, invoices).
Review Billing Information Memos for misallocated time and ensure time entries are in accordance with client policy.
Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers.
3. Edit draft invoices based on partners' mark-up. This can include:
Write-offs (in accordance with firm policies/procedures).
Time/cost transfers; investigate appropriateness of where entries should be billed.
Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions.
Verify client specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; keep track of volume discounts based on thresholds reached.
Pull back-up of costs to include with final invoices based on a client's billing requirements.
Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports; acquire appropriate write-off approvals based on write-off amount thresholds.
Prepare electronic invoices in LEDES; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions.
Establish working relationships with e-billing site vendors; make certain all timekeepers and rates are up-to-date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed.
Ensure three way communications between e-billing site, client and the Firm (as the e-billing site processes invoices based on the Clients' Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines).
Track status of bills submitted, identify issues, and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise.
5. Monitor payment of assigned clients' accounts receivable and coordinate collection efforts.
Proactive follow-up with partners and clients.
Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts.
Provide assistance to partners and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices.
Maintain/enter status updates in Firm's collection database.
6. Communicate situations as they arise that may require follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
Qualifications & Requirements
· The Billing Coordinator position will suit someone who has a solid understanding of accounting concepts
· at a minimum, a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting/Business/Finance.
· 1-2 years of previous billing experience in either a Law Firm or Professional Services organization is required.
· The Billing Coordinator must possess outstanding interpersonal skills in order to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently.
· The ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced, highly demanding environment is required.
· Additional requirements include outstanding customer service demeanor, and flexibility for possible overtime hours.
· Technical requirements include MS Office with emphasis in MS Excel and Word.
Third Party Applications Not Accepted
Apply by creating/using account