Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Client in Owings Mills, MD is looking for Sr. Mainframe Systems Consultant.
Description/Comment: The Senior Systems Programmer provides technical leadership, software support and technical guidance in support of the mainframe operating system environment. This position contributes to the implementation and support of hardware, software and operational procedures to enhance and maintain performance, high availability, currency, and capacity for mainframe architecture in support of application and/or business requirements.
In addition, this position is responsible for maintaining a high-level perspective of the day-to-day operational aspects of the department. This perspective produces the ability to identify and recommend efficiencies that can be built into existing processes and procedures. These day-to-day tasks include the development and employment of monitoring techniques to maintain a proactive application/systems management approach.
Participate in problem solving exercises assisting Technical Services group in identifying root cause, corrective action or future direction to eliminate potential outages
Implements assigned system software to include new releases, corrective fixes, vendor maintenance and customization. Builds plan to integrate software changes to maintain the highest level of availability coordinating with Operations and the Change Management groups. Perform research into new functions available from latest software identifying opportunities to improve our environment.
Supports software environment providing guidance on the use of systems software to fellow systems programmers, applications programmers, operations and other business users of the mainframe infrastructure.
Participates in projects and tasks to upgrade/migrate supported hardware to new or replacement equipment. This would include making configuration changes as required, installing software fixes for compatibility, assisting with the implementation planning and change coordination.
Monitors the environment to ensure resource utilization is within capacity guidelines. Analyzes the environment to determine customization and or corrective change to ensure we maintain the highest availability and throughput. Identify inefficiencies; communicate to appropriate owner of resource consumption and work to correct inefficiencies through accepted tuning guidelines.
Additional Job Details: This position requires in-depth knowledge of DB2 internals, working knowledge of DB2-DDF, DB2 Data Sharing, and DB2 security issues.
Responsibilities will include subsystem backup and recovery, tuning of DB2 subsystem for optimum performance, and installation and customization of DB2 and related software.
Strong interpersonal skills are also required.
CICS systems programming experience is a definite plus.
Products to be supported include suite of CA Platinum DB2 tools, ASG TMON MVS, CICS and DB2.
Also support the Informatica ETL listener PowerExchange on the Mainframe.
DB2 support provided with a strong interaction with our DB2 DBA group as well as our Application support area.
Very strong DB2 problem analysis and resolution skills required.
Large DDF Websphere environment.
List the required knowledge and skills (e.g., attributes such as interpersonal skills, communication skills, leadership ability, etc…) that a person will need to be successful in this position:
• Extensive knowledge and experience as a Systems Programmer in a IBM Z/OS Mainframe environment
• Extensive work experience with vendor/non IBM systems software to include but not be restricted to CA, BMC, Compuware, ASG, SAS
• Extensive systems implementation and administration experience
• Understanding of project management and control
• Ability to communicate ideas and solutions
• Ability to effectively work with people in other departments and/or outside of the enterprise
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently • SMPE
• Dump analysis and problem solving Preferred Describe the preferred education, work experience, certifications/licenses/accreditations, and knowledge and skills, if different from above: Experience with one or more of the following: Z/OS in a SYSPLEX environment, Workload Manager, USS on Z/OS, DB2, CICS, Performance management, capacity planning, system monitoring, RACF/Top Secret Security, TCP/IP and OSA/SF, Coupling Facility environment to include Structure definitions, control and management.
Apply by creating/using an account