Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Physical Therapy Assistant
Availability : Full Time
SUMMARY Provide direct patient care under the direction of a qualified Physical Therapist as ordered by the patient's physician. Implement treatment programs designed and supervised by the Physical Therapist to facilitate recovery and attainment of maximum physical potential of patients. Work closely with the Physical Therapist to ensure comprehensive delivery of services and quality patient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work closely with the physical therapist to receive guidance and instruction for treating patients.
• Perform direct patient care as delegated by the physical therapist.
• Inform the physical therapist of any changes in the treatment orders or the patient status.
• Prepare areas for treatment care.
• Perform all types of modalities and hydrotherapy treatments.
• Perform all therapeutic exercise techniques including isokinetic and isotonic equipment.
• Perform gait training.
• Facilitate the patient treatment .
• Identify and communicate to the Physical Therapist any adverse reaction of the patient to the treatment.
• Complete appropriate documentation on all patients treated, including subjective and objective information, progress in therapy, and other information pertinent to the patient's care.
• Maintain appropriate communication and good interpersonal skills with supervisors, staff and patients to ensure coordinated efforts and provision of high quality service.
• Use formal channels of communication to report concerns, personal requests and patient issues.
• Respect patients' right to privacy and confidentiality.
• Maintain an orderly and professional working atmosphere.
• Report to work properly dressed according to the approved dress code.
• Adhere to guidelines concerning working hours and break periods.
• Manage time effectively to complete all patient treatments and related activities as assigned.
• Maintain professional standards and procedures ensuring compliance with Corporate policies and applicable regulations.
• Adjust to quality assurance policies and procedures concerning all physical therapy issues.
• Maintain equipment in a clean and safe condition at all times.
• Maintain treatment stations and put equipment away.
• Perform related clerical duties such as filing, scheduling patients, obtaining authorization for treatment, etc., as required.
• Take all necessary precautions to protect clinic assets and property against loss or waste through negligence or dishonesty.
• Demonstrate support to others by offering help.
• Assist in the solution of problems as directed by Supervisor.
• Attend scheduled in-services and meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge and skill in therapeutic exercises and post-surgical protocols.
• Ability to facilitate prescribed treatment.
• Knowledge of physical therapy modalities.
• Knowledge of organizational policies to administer patient care.
• Knowledge of use and maintenance of physical therapy equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
• Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work medical environment.
• Skill in documenting and maintaining patient care records.
• Skill in identifying and communicating problems to the physical therapist.
• Skill in following medical quality assurance and quality control standards.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective communications and working relationships with patients and other staff.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate clearly with patients regarding the nature of treatment(s).
• Good oral and written communication skills in English.
• Good telephone manners and etiquette.
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
• Detail orientation and organization.
• Excellent people skills. Ability to get along and work effectively with others.
• Use of correct body mechanics.
• Flexibility in working hours to handle variation in the inflow of patients and cover the needs of the department.
Degree from an APTA accredited program and/or approved by the Physical Therapy Examining Committee.
Previous experience in an orthopedic setting with use of modalities, therapeutic exercises and isokinetic equipment.
Licensed as a Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) in the State.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
Work is performed in a clinical office environment. Involves occasional exposure to communicable disease, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment. May involve dealing with angry, upset or uneasy people.
Work requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity, as well as eye-hand coordination. Frequent standing, sitting and walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as occasional bending and stooping. Ability to communicate with patients, staff and clients. Ability to facilitate prescribed treatment and prepares documentation and reports. Handling and lifting of patients. Ability to use therapy equipment. Occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Normal or corrected vision to levels that allow performance of tasks inherent to medical practice and common office work. Hearing within the acceptable range for telephone contacts.
Apply by creating/using an account